The Connection Between Breakfast And Your Healthy Smile
IT’S OFTEN SAID, and health studies agree, that breakfast may be the most important meal of the day. And by the way, breakfast affects our oral health too!
Breakfast Can Damage Smiles During Ortho Treatment
Given our on-the-go lifestyles, breakfast can become an imbalanced, over-sugary meal! We don’t typically eat candy for breakfast—yet, we choose popular cereals and pastries that are full of sugar. These unhealthy breakfast choices can be damaging to your teeth and gums—and your appliances—with multiplying effects if you’re not brushing and flossing after breakfast.
A Healthy, Balanced Breakfast Can Protect Your Smile
Your mouth, like your body, needs nutritious food to stay healthy. A balanced breakfast rich in fruits, vegetables, fiber, and healthy proteins can help prevent bad breath, tooth decay, early tooth loss, and gum disease.
Healthy teeth and gums respond better to orthodontic treatment—so eating a good breakfast may also help you towards your goal of a straighter, more lovely smile!
Tips For A Smile-Friendly Breakfast
- Eat whole grains (oatmeal, whole wheat bread) instead of refined grains.
- Eat firm, ripe fruits and healthier vegetables (cut into bite-sized pieces).
- Drink water or unsweetened tea to strengthen tooth enamel and help prevent tooth decay.
- Use moderation with fruit juices and smoothies—they’re typically high in sugar and can be quite acidic.
- Consider dinner for breakfast! Chicken, fish, beans, cheese, etc.
- Eat high fiber cereals with less preservatives and added sugar.
- Avoid hard or sticky foods that could damage your appliance.
Quick, Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Breakfast Kickstarts Your Day & Your Healthy Smile
Start eating breakfasts that protect your smile AND make you feel good (studies have found that breakfast affects your energy and focus). If you have ideas or recipes for healthy, balanced breakfasts, share them with us below or on Facebook!
Thank you for trusting us with your oral health! We appreciate you.